What the best sitcom has to have to be on this list? Great roles with perfectly suited actors, unique setting and lots and lots of jokes and funny situations. Also You should consider interaction between main cast. I solemnly recommend all of the sitcoms below.
1. That 70’s Show (All the caracters were great, setting was the coolest, funny gags and situations, only shame it ended so soon)
6. Curb Your Enthusiasm (as soon as You get accustommed to the original and improvisational format You’ll realise this is one of the best sitcoms ever made)
8. Futurama (great humor, political satire, twisted alien worlds and weird but funny future with some truly poignant moments)
10. Married… with Children (primitive & vulgar, classic & funny sitcom about a dysfunctional family, Father of all sitcoms)
14. Archer (the coolest animated spy sitcom ever)
16. I Love Lucy (me too!)
17. According to Jim
18. The Mary Tyler Moore Show (Mother of all sitcoms)
22. The Simpsons
23. Family Guy
25. Rick and Morty
26. Roseanne (It just keeps coming back, just to be cancelled again… GJ!)
27. King of the Hill
29. Cheers (8 person main cast, everyone funny; NORM!)
30. Frasier (said to be one of the most succesfull spin-offs: true)
33. Modern Family (very unconventional but subtle and seriously funny)
34. Mike & Molly
36. The Cosby Show (Bill Cosby, what else)
39. Dharma & Greg
40. Black Books (Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey)
43. My Family
44. Thin Blue Line
46. Yes, Dear
48. ’Til Death
51. Just Shoot Me!
52. 2 Broke Girls
53. Anger Management
54. Red Dwarf
55. Don’t Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23. Very weird/original sitcom
58. My Wife and Kids
59. Mr. Sunshine
60. Satisfaction (some originality with weird characters)
62. That 80’s Show. Well, ironic isn’t it?
Let’s consider what key elements make a great sitcom.
Witty main character. He has to make every situation ito a joke. Best examples are Michael from My Wife and Kids, Chandler from Friends, Brian from Wings, Drew from Drew Carey Show. We can also count an actual comedian Jerry from Seinfeld.
Lovable dummy. Take for example Lowell from Wings, Joey from Friends, Kelso from That 70’s Show or Lewis/Oswald combo from Drew Carrey Show. Sometimes the lovable dummy characer is more subtle like Radar from M*A*S*H. Coach/Woody in Cheers. Blake in M*A*S*H.
Lovable wacko. Needless to mention Kramer from Seinfeld, Phoebie from Friends, Latka and Reverend Jim from Taxi, Lilith from Cheers, Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.
Un-lovable pain in the a… Burns in M*A*S*H, Burns in The Spimpsons, Red in That’s 70’s Show, Louie De Palma from Taxi.
Setting. Usual setting, living room couch and partly kitchen. Bar/caffé or work place gives more freedom and creates more interactions with non-main characters. Field hospital in the 50’s or Eric’s basement in the 70’s are examples of non-standard setting both with location and time-setting.
Soon to be added:
All in the Family
Keeping Up Appearances
The Michael J Fox Show