What the best sitcom has to have to be on this list? Great roles with perfectly suited actors, unique setting and lots and lots of jokes and funny situations. Also You should consider interaction between main cast. I solemnly recommend all of the sitcoms below.
1. That 70’s Show (All the caracters were great, setting was the coolest, funny gags and situations, only shame it ended so soon)
6. Curb Your Enthusiasm (as soon as You get accustommed to the original and improvisational format You’ll realise this is one of the best sitcoms ever made)
7. Mad About You (The funniest sitcom ever)
9. Futurama (great humor, political satire, twisted alien worlds and weird but funny future with some truly poignant moments)
11. Married… with Children (primitive & vulgar, classic & funny sitcom about a dysfunctional family, Father of all sitcoms)
15. Archer (the coolest animated spy sitcom ever)
17. I Love Lucy (me too!, Grandmother of all sitcoms)
18. ‘Allo ‘Allo (Good moaning!)
19. According to Jim
20. The Mary Tyler Moore Show (Mother of all sitcoms)
21. South Park
24. Bob’s Burgers
25. The Golden Girls
27. The Simpsons
28. Family Guy
29. The Office (US)
30. The Conners (The odyssey continues)
32. Rick and Morty
34. Roseanne (It just keeps coming back, just to be cancelled again… GJ!)
35. King of the Hill
37. Cheers (8 person main cast, everyone funny; NORM!)
38. Frasier (said to be one of the most successful spin-offs: true)
41. Modern Family (very unconventional but subtle and seriously funny)
42. Superstore (delightfully funny cutscenes of moronic customers)
43. Mike & Molly
45. The Cosby Show
48. Dharma & Greg
49. Black Books (Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey)
53. Keeping Up Appearances (It’s bouquet…)
54. My Family
55. Thin Blue Line
57. Yes, Dear
59. ’Til Death
63. Just Shoot Me!
65. The Office (UK)
66. The Nanny
67. 2 Broke Girls
68. Anger Management
69. The Odd Couple (2015)
70. $#*! My Dad Says
71. Red Dwarf
72. Ugly Americans
73. Don’t Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23 (Very weird/original sitcom)
76. Kevin Can Wait
77. My Wife and Kids
79. Man with a Plan
80. Mr. Sunshine
81. Satisfaction (some originality with weird characters)
83. That 80’s Show. Well, ironic isn’t it?
Let’s consider what key elements make a great sitcom.
Witty main character. He has to make every situation ito a joke. Best examples are Michael from My Wife and Kids, Chandler from Friends, Brian from Wings, Drew from Drew Carey Show. We can also count an actual comedian Jerry from Seinfeld.
Lovable dummy. Take for example Lowell from Wings, Joey from Friends, Kelso from That 70’s Show or Lewis/Oswald combo from Drew Carrey Show. Sometimes the lovable dummy characer is more subtle like Radar from M*A*S*H. Coach/Woody in Cheers. Blake in M*A*S*H.
Lovable wacko. Needless to mention Kramer from Seinfeld, Phoebie from Friends, Latka and Reverend Jim from Taxi, Lilith from Cheers, Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.
Un-lovable pain in the a… Burns in M*A*S*H, Burns in The Spimpsons, Red in That’s 70’s Show, Louie De Palma from Taxi.
Setting. Usual setting, living room couch and partly kitchen. Bar/caffé or work place gives more freedom and creates more interactions with non-main characters. Field hospital in the 50’s or Eric’s basement in the 70’s are examples of non-standard setting both with location and time-setting.
Soon to be added:
All in the Family
The Michael J Fox Show